Wednesday, November 27, 2013

colorado is for lovers

colorado is one of my absolute favorite places to visit, hands down.  my BFF, erica, lives there, i've made some great friends, everyone is so chill and kind, the scenery is amazing.... if you've been to colorado, you'll understand what i mean.  i fell in love with the rockies on my first visit in 2004 and i've been back 4 more times, falling deeper in love with the most amazing state EVER!

last year on my BFF visit, erica treated me to a getaway in eagle, colorado... a tiny bump in the road town past vail and 2 hours west of denver.  eagle is a bit of a slower pace than this DC gal is used to.  the town has 1 grocery store, 2 bars, a chinese restaurant... and that's it.  i'm not sure what the allure of eagle is, but we had so much fun last year, we decided to visit again on my trip this summer.  memories of shooting stars and seeing the milky way on the railroad tracks, townie friends at brush creek saloon, and the mountain lion guarding the graveyard were waiting for us.

(let's see where our journey takes us....)

the first night we arrived, there was a karaoke night at the one bar that stays open past midnight.  we sang our hearts out to green day and NIN while enjoyed free shots from one of the locals.  we made some new friends and did our usual lay on the railroad tracks and watch for shooting stars.  one of the guys in our group was a young, sweet guy... mountain man.  he offered to take me and erica inter tubing down the river and we exchanged numbers and made plans to meet up in the morning.  he seemed nice enough, kinda cute, and hopefully not insane.

the next day, we all met up and decided to instead go to the radium hot springs since it was a little cold for tubing.  we hiked for awhile to the springs and rock climbed down... it was a bit intense for me but i did it and was really proud of my accomplishments! we had a great time with new friends at the hot springs until this 50+ year old creeper dude appeared and decided it was a GREAT idea to skinny dip in the springs with 4 women... disgusting.  we jetted out of there and back to the car ASAP!

(not kidding when i say it was an intense rock scramble.. i did it in flip flops)

as we were hiking down the mountain, i slipped and went down down down... it was terrifying.  mountain man came to my rescue and thankfully, i didn't break anything.  i was however bleeding and i scraped up my arm and leg pretty good.

(i still have scars from that day)

i think back to when was the moment that i fell totally head over heels for my mountain man.  i think it was when i fell down that mountain.  he was so gentle with me and i felt like he rescued me.  walking the rest of the way down that steep decline, he took my hands and made sure i was safe.  i've never had a man be so concerned about my well-being.  it felt good to be protected.  I AM HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!

erica and i were leaving to go back to denver the next day, but i wasn't ready to say goodbye to my mountain man.  him and his friend followed us back to denver and the four of us spent 24/7 together until i left to come home to DC.  it was the most magical five days of my life... we did goth night, walked around denver, ate lots of pizza, candy, more pizza.  we spent a full day in boulder getting wasted on $3 sakis, riding long boards, talking to elves, making out in parking garages... laughing until we cried at pho, tool singalongs.. so much laughter. 

saying goodbye was so hard, but i held onto all the memories of our fun together, and hoped that we would see each other again one day... i knew he was special when erica told me she thinks he's my future husband.  BFF's for 15 years and she has never said that about any man!

fearful we wouldn't reconnect for 50+ years, or worse, never, i held out hope that we would once again reconnect outside of facebook and occasional texts or talking on the phone.

GOOD NEWS.

mountain man is coming to see me in three days!  i feel like a kid waiting for christmas.  and better yet, he's coming when erica is home so we can hang and relive some colorado adventures.  my heart may explode from the excitement between spending time with my mom, seeing my BFF, and seeing the man that makes me heart flutter.

i know what you're thinking........  FINALLY, A POSITIVE DATING POST!!  it's been so long overdue, my friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment